Getting Started

The permit counters are the starting point in the building permit process, whether you are doing a simple project at home or building a new structure. View the Listing of simple permits that can be obtained online.

Do I Need A Permit?

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

This website is intended to be used as a general guide. When determining whether or not a building permit is required, refer to Section 105 of the California Building Code (CBC) and/or the California Residential Code (CRC) or consult directly with the Sacramento County Division of Building Permits and Inspections.

Projects that require a permit. Typical projects include, but not limited to:

Additions / Alterations

Outdoor Kitchens


Ceiling fans / Lights

New homes and buildings


Change of Use or Occupancy to a Building or Specific Tenant Space

Patio Covers



Photovoltaic (solar) systems

Solar for swimming pools

Electrical panels, Circuits


Swimming pools and spas

Fences (over 7 feet in height)


Tenant Improvements

Fireplace and fireplace inserts

Retaining walls*

Termite / Dryrot Repairs*

Garage conversions

Room additions

Water Heaters

Gas Lines

Sewer service New or Replacement

Water Service

Heating and cooling systems


Whole House Fans

Kitchen and Bathroom remodels

Shower or tub enclosure replacements

Window replacements (Cut in or Retrofit)

*Refer to the California Building Code (CBC) and/or California Residential Code (CRC) 105.2 for work that is exempt from permit.

Projects that do not require a permit. Typical projects include, but not limited to:

  • One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, etc., providing the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet, less than 12" overhangs, less than 9' tall in total height, and not placed in a Utility easement.
  • Fences seven feet or less in total height
  • Retaining walls less than 2' in height (when constructed out of wood) less than 36" in height (when constructed out of masonry) Wall height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of wall.
  • Painting, papering, flooring, and similar finish work.
  • Repair of Toilets and sink faucets
  • Landscape irrigation
  • Appliance Replacement (plug in)

For a complete listing of work that does not require a permit please refer to section 105.2 of the California Building Code and/ or the California Residential Code.

Who can apply for a permit ?

We only issue permits to Home Owners, Contractors or authorized agents for them.  An authorization letter will need to be signed and provided when applying for an Owner or Contractor.

Simple Miscellaneous Permits

If there are no requirements for plan review, we will generally be able to issue the permit in one visit or you can apply online. 

Examples of a simple miscellaneous permit include residential projects such as reroofing, the replacement of water heaters, electric service panels, heaters and air conditioners, Retro-fit window replacement and other minor projects.

View the Listing of permits that can be obtained online.

Permits Requiring Plan Review

For permits requiring plan review, we will begin your permit process, review your application and route your package to plan review. Once the plans are approved for permit by all departments we will issue the permit and start the field inspection process.