Residential Permits

Frequently Asked Questions

Fences over seven feet in height requires a Building Permit and Planning Department approval. 

Fences over seven feet in height most often times requires a special use permit which is applied for through the planning department.

Yes. As of January 1st, 2010 a permit is required to replace windows. This requirement includes both retrofit or cut in window and door replacement.

As of January 1st, 2011 all new one and two family dwellin​gs require fire sprinklers.

Yes, we have a code compliance program that may be available to you. There are restrictions to this program.

Yes. We do have an AG exempt policy for Agriculture buildings. There are minimum requirements. 

Any new structure or an addition to an existing structure needs to meet the set back requirements of the planning department. Set backs are obtained through the planning department and are often parcel sensitive. Set backs on one particular parcel or area may not be the same on another.

There may also be a PUE (Public Utility Easement) on your property that will have requirements for building. 

Location of easements can be obtained through Technical Resources. Planning and Technical Resources are located at:

827 7th Street RM. 102, 2nd floor
Sacramento Ca, 95814

All new homes need to be reviewed and approved by Technical Resources, LDSIR, Planning Department, Sacramento Sewer District.

Additional County Departments that​ may need to be contacted depending on the conditions on your parcel are Water Resources. 

Yes. When the winter design temperature in Table R301.2(1) of the 2010 CRC is below 60*F (16*C)  every dwelling unit shall be provided with heating facilities capable of maintaining a minimum room temperature of 68*F (20*C) at a point 3 feet above the floor and 2 feet from exterior walls in all habitable rooms at the design temperature. 

The installation of one or more portable space heaters shall not be used to achieve compliance with.